Hi SpeedX Riders,
I’m sorry to tell you that we have a delay in the Unicorn project. Don’t worry. Don’t panic. Everything is under control. You will still be the very first riders in the world who use SRAM Red eTap HydroHC (Pro and X backers only). No chance we will have another delay like the Leopard project.
- Most parts (groupset, handlebar, saddles) have arrived in the assembly factory in Taiwan. See Xero wheels below.
- SRAM confirmed the delivery date of Red eTap HydroHC again. They would arrive in our Taiwan factory around June 25th.
- All Unicorn models passed ISO 4210 test in SGS 1 week ago.
- We sent a team of project managers and engineers to the Taiwan factory two weeks ago, and they successfully completed the trial assembly, which standardized the assembly process. It’s a must before we mobilize an assembly line.
The testing and debugging of SpeedForce take more time than we expected, mainly because of Android. It’s definitely a challenge no matter who is making it. For example, Canyon released the first Android bike computer two years in Euro Bike 2015, but it failed without any follow-up. Hope you understand it’s not easy to make a reliable Android bike computer, and give us more time.
Here’re two GIF of the SpeedForce Android testing.
Things Behind The Delay
I would like to share you two details about the Unicorn. Please forgive the poor photography from our factory team.
1) Headset with split spacers
You may check this official video from BMC, and you could start from 1’58”. A similar headset system is already used in many top models of other brands, like Trek Madone 9.5 and BMC Roadmachine. We have and tweak it in Unicorn, and it has benefits as below:
- No need to open extra routing hole(s) in the fork for the internal routing. Fork could be stiffer.
- In the steerer tube, we cut off a little bit in the left and right sides, which allows internal routing. BMC does it as well, and you could see it very clearly at 49” in the video. We tweak it by smoothing the routing, and avoid 90-degree curves which exist in Leopard 2016. It brings a smoother brake and shifting feeling.
- We add two shims on the two sides of the fork's top end, which enlarges the stress surface between the fork and the headset. It locks the fork very tight.
- As a result of the three benefits above, much less squeaking.
- Split spacers are super friendly for bike fitting, because you don’t need to remove the the stem or handlebar when you want to remove a spacer.
- To lower the weight, we design a headset cap integrated with cap bolt. See below.
One more thing, it costs seriously to produce the split spacers. For the production of regular fork spacers, it’s just like how you cut a cucumber. Have a round tube, cut it into pieces. That’s it. For the production of split spacers, each half of a spacer costs an aluminium block. We lose money on every Unicorn, but we didn't hesitate at all when we decide if we offer the split spacers.
2) Cable tube inside the down tube
Squeaky noise is a common issue on almost every full hidden routing bikes, no matter you ride Venge or Madone. Let’s see how Look reduces the squeaking. Check this official video from Look, and you could start from 1’33”.
Their nylon tie solution helps, but not in a decent way. We design a cable tube inside the down tube, which avoids internal cables hitting the down tube wall. See below. We invent this!
I hope you could see more than the delay, but how serious SpeedX is about making the best bike. We don’t make and sell cheap copies. We don’t earn market share by price war. We’re a change maker!
1) Unicorn Di2
We expect to ship out first batch at the mid of July, which is two month delay, as we expected to mass produce Unicorn Di2 in April and ship out in May back to the Kickstarter project launch. For U.S. orders, we ship in bulk from a Taiwan factory by sea, which takes more time compared to the deliveries to EU and RoW.
2) Unicorn Pro
Same as Unicorn Di2. The last piece missing is the delivery of SRAM Red eTap HydroHC, and we should receive them on time according to latest .
3) Unicorn X
VCS Max pursues the extreme comfort, but it leads to a low yield rate of Unicorn X frame.
We expect the M size frame could be produced in mid of July, and that frames of other sizes could be produced in mid of Aug. Thus, we could ship out Unicorn X (M size) in late July, and Unicorn X (Other sizes) in late Aug.
Keep Faith in SpeedX
Unicorn delivery delay is a fact. We’re not going to find any excuse for it, and we keep you posted about the reasons behind, being totally transparent.
No doubt this delay is very frustrating, and we do hope you keep faith in SpeedX. Let’s look back into the history.
- 2015: 1st generation SpeedForce got launched, our first hardware product. It got delayed for nearly 1 year when the last piece was delivered. The delay is partly because of free product upgrade.
- 2016: Leopard (Pro) got launched, our first bike product. It gets delayed for 7 months when the last bike is delivered, and 50% were delivered with delay of less than 5 months.
- 2017: Unicorn got launched, our second bike product. Di2 version would get delayed for 1.5 month.
As a 3-year-old bike startup, we’ve always been improving. In the future, there will be almost no delay. Here’s thing, we’ve grown up into a larger company, and we don’t need a crowd-funding platform to launch new product anymore. Instead, we will focus on SpeedX Store, our own online shop. We will sell stock or open pre-order only when we’re confident that we could deliver on time. We believe delivery delay is surely a thing of past after we ship out all Unicorns.
Spoiler: we will launch a new road bike in early July, an affordable model. It’s in SpeedX Store only, and let’s see how much the delivery improvement we could make this time.
- Delay is a fact, and we’re doing everything we could to deliver earlier.
- Pro and X backers will still be the first group of riders in the world to use SRAM Red eTap HydroHC. You could search “Sram Red eTap HydroHC” in Google News. No any news since end of 2016, and you will be the news as you’re the first ones to use it.
- Unicorn is a great bike, not only because of the Android SpeedForce, VCS, high specs, but our R&D team does a great regarding many details, like headset and cable tube in the down tube.
Hope you understand this, and give us more time.
If you have any questions to your Unicorn order, you could reach SpeedX Support via email@example.com or post in the Support category in SpeedX Forum.